Tuesday, March 01, 2016

50th Birthday Playlist

Another milestone birthday is approaching, so it was time to update the birthday playlist. I had compiled my 120 favorite songs, enough to fill my iPod Shuffle, from throughout my life for my 40th birthday party. My current iPhone holds many more songs than that, but I decided to stick with the rule of 30 songs per decade.

And once again, I have a few observations:

  • Because I have kids, I have rediscovered Top 40 radio. With age I've also gotten over a lot of my music snobbery, so I make no apologies for the pop songs.
  • The older songs are ones that have taken on greater significance for me in the last decade.
  • I'm happy to say that I've found enough new music in the last decade that I had to struggle to cut the list down to 30.
I played my 40th birthday playlist at my 40th birthday party. I won't have that opportunity with turning 50, but I've known all along that I wanted to update the playlist, because the original one is a gift to myself that keeps on giving. I frequently listen to my music on shuffle, so it's like a little surprise party whenever one of my favorite songs comes on.

The additions from the last decade:
  1. American Authors - Best Day of My Life
  2. Animal Collective - Summertime Clothes
  3. Art Brut - Slap Dash for No Cash
  4. Barnett, Courtney  - Nobody Really Cares If You Don't Go To The Party
  5. Bloc Party - Helicopter
  6. Bow Wow Wow - I Want Candy
  7. Case, Neko - Man
  8. Chvrches - Clearest Blue
  9. Collins, Edwyn  - Losing Sleep
  10. Django Django - Default
  11. Escovedo, Alejandro  - Always a Friend
  12. Franz Ferdinand - Bullet
  13. Fratellis - Henrietta 
  14. Frightened Rabbit - Swim Until You Can't See Land
  15. Ida Maria - Queen of the World
  16. Joy Division - She’s Lost Control
  17. Kishi Bashi - It All Began with a Burst
  18. Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
  19. Lekman, Jens - Your Arms Around Me
  20. Monae, Janelle - Tightrope
  21. OK Go - This Too Shall Pass
  22. Pharrell - Happy
  23. Redwalls - Modern Diet
  24. Ronson, Mark & Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
  25. Savages - She Will
  26. Segall, Ty - It’s Over
  27. Sleater-Kinney - Surface Envy
  28. St. Vincent - Digital Witness
  29. Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog
  30. Zola Jesus - Vessel

No comments: