Thursday, March 26, 2009

Not Just What I Needed

Greg Hawkes, keyboardist of the Cars, has released a solo album, The Beatles Uke. It is exactly what the title suggests, Beatles songs played on the ukulele. I recognize that the Beatles are the most important band in the history of rock and roll, but I really wish he'd performed Cars songs instead. I have nothing against the Beatles, but I've had enough of them. There is far worse music that could be overexposed, but their music is ubiquitous, and novelty interpretations have, quite simply, lost their novelty. Among the collection at the library where I worked were Beatles songs performed as jazz, reggae, lullabies and children's music, on cello, by German heavy metal and classical choral groups and even by Looney Tunes characters. Give it a rest.

No comments: